We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews
Certificate of Sponsorship

Certificate of Sponsorship

You need a Certificate of Sponsorship before you can apply for a Skilled Worker Visa.

Call us on 0161 826 9783 for immediate citizenship assistance. Our team are here to help over the phone, in person or via Skype.

Request a call back from our immigration experts

What is a Certificate of Sponsorship?

Overseas workers are vital to many of the UK’s industries but to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa, international workers must first hold a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from an employer with a valid licence.

In other words, your prospective employer must request and assign your CoS via their online Sponsor Management System account (SMS). Once your CoS is issued, you have 3 months to submit your application.

Call us on 0161 826 8769 to speak with one of our employment immigration law experts in Manchester.

Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews
Reviews.io Logo

Why do I need a Certificate of Sponsorship?

By issuing your Certificate of Sponsorship, your prospective employer certifies that the job you have been offered meets the requirements for the Skilled Worker Visa, this includes meeting the minimum skill level requirement and the minimum salary threshold requirement.

It also certifies that they will carry out specific sponsorship responsibilities whilst you are employed by them.

What are the types of UK Certificate of Sponsorship?

There are two types of Certificate of Sponsorship:

  • Unrestricted certificates. When your employer applies for a Sponsor Licence, they must estimate the number of sponsorship certificates they’ll need. Companies can get as many unrestricted certificates as they need, provided that they show evidence of the number of foreign employers they need to hire.
  • Restricted certificates, which are for Skilled Workers currently abroad, or dependants of Student Visa migrants who are switching to a work visa. The employer must apply for restricted certificates through the SMS.

It must be noted that all prospective employees based outside the UK will need a restricted CoS unless they will be working in a role which pays 159,600 a year or more, or in an inward investment post.

How does the monthly allocation for Restricted Certificates work?

There is a monthly allocation requirement for restricted COSs on the 11th of each month. Moreover, there is an annual cap of 20,700 splits into 12 monthly caps.

Your employer must apply for your CoS by the 5th of the month to be allocated a restricted CoS in time by the 11th of that month.

How can I apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship?

Once your CoS has been assigned to you, you have 3 months to make your Skilled Worker Visa application. After this time, your certificate will expire, and your employer will need to issue a new one.

Besides, during these 3 months, you cannot be assigned any additional CoS by another employer.

Advice Package icon

Advice Package

Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

Application Package icon

Application Package

Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Fast Track Package icon

Fast Track Package

Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

Appeal Package icon

Appeal Package

Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

Advice Package image

The Advice Package

During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

Fill out the form

Request the Advice Package
Application Package image

The Application Package

With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

Fill out the form

Request the Application Package
Fast Track Package image

The Fast Track Package

Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

Fill out the form

Request the Fast Track Package
Appeal Package image

The Appeal Package

By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

Fill out the form

Request the Appeal Package

We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

Request a call back from our immigration experts

Related pages for your continued reading.

Frequently Asked Questions

Once your CoS is granted, you will not receive a physical certificate, but a code that you must report on your application form. Nevertheless, you can ask your employer to print out the details for your certificate from the SMS system.

If you do not wish to apply for a visa anymore, you should contact your sponsor, so they can cancel the Certificate of Sponsorship.

Otherwise, if you fail to do so, your CoS will automatically expire after three months if you do not submit your application.

If you wish to take up alternative employment in the UK, you need to follow these steps:

  • Ensure that your new employer can sponsor your new Skilled Worker Visa application.
  • Ask your current sponsor to withdraw your live CoS. You cannot request a new one until your original certificate remains live. Your employer must cancel your CoS within five days of receiving your request. If they fail to do so, you can ask the Sponsor Licensing Unit of the UKVI to cancel it instead.
  • Once your original CoS is cancelled, you can apply for another one from your new employer.