Manchester Immigration Lawyers
0161 826 9783 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK

We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Fiancé Visa vs Spouse Visa: What Is the Best Option?

For advice or assistance with any visa application, speak to our customer care team today on 0161 532 7794. Our immigration lawyers can advise you over the phone, face-to-face or via Skype.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Should you apply for a Fiancé Visa or a Spouse Visa? If you’re looking to live with your partner in the UK, you might be asking yourself this very question.

    Before you can live with your partner in this county, first you’ll need to obtain the right visa. Many people become confused about the type of visa they need, but if you count yourself among those who are unsure, fear not as we’re here to help.

    There are some key differences between these two visas. The Fiancé visa is designed for those who are looking to come to the UK to legally marry and is valid for 6 months only, while the Spouse Visa is for those who wish to settle in the UK and allows you to stay here for 30 months.

    The one you decide to apply for will depend on you and your partner’s circumstances. If you’re already married and you want to live here indefinitely, you should opt for the Spouse Visa. On the other hand, if you just want to come here to tie the knot with your other half before settling on a permanent basis then you should make an application for the Fiancé Visa instead.

    spouse visa vs fiance visa - couple married

    What are the requirements for the Fiancé visa?

    Before you can obtain a Fiancé Visa, you’ll need to meet the requirements set out by the Home Office. The Fiancé Visa requirements are as follows:

    • Your partner is a British citizen or holds Indefinite Leave to Remain
    • Both you and your partner are 18 or over
    • You have met in person
    • You’re free to marry
    • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live in the UK
    • You intend to marry within 6 months
    • You meet the financial requirement
    • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents
    • Your English is at the required level

    What are the requirements for the Spouse Visa?

    Likewise, to be accepted for a Spouse Visa there are a number of requirements that both the applicant and their partner must meet. Although many are the same as with the Fiancé visa, there are some differences:

    • Your partner is a British citizen or holds Indefinite Leave to Remain
    • Both you and your partner are 18 or over
    • You have met in person and are legally married
    • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together in the UK
    • You meet the financial requirement
    • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependants
    • Your English is at the required level

    Do you need help applying for a Spouse Visa? Our lawyers can assist you. Get in touch

      Fill out the form

      What’s the minimum financial requirement?

      When applying for either a Fiancé Visa or a Spouse Visa, you and your partner must demonstrate that you’re able to financially support your stay without recourse to public funds. To help the Home Office determine this, there’s a minimum income requirement in place to make sure you’ll both be earning an adequate income.

      For either the Fiancé or Spouse Visa application to be accepted, you’ll need a combined income of at least £18,600. Be aware that those travelling with children will need a higher income. How much higher will depend on the number of children you’re travelling with.

      The exact amounts are as follows:

      • £3,800 for first child
      • £2,400 for any other children thereafter

      What if your relationship ends?

      If your visa is based on your relationship, you must tell the Home Office if the relationship breaks down. Once you’ve done that, you must either apply for a new type of visa or leave the country.

      If you’re notifying the Home Office that your relationship has ended, you’ll need to do this via email. When you make contact, be sure to include the following details of both you and your partner:

      • Name
      • Date of birth
      • Address
      • Passport number
      • Home Office reference number

      If you have children, you’ll also need to include the above information for them too.

      two people sat down chatting

      How can Manchester Immigration Lawyers Help?

      Hopefully after reading this guide, you’ll now have a good idea of which visa you need to apply for. If you’re still unsure about anything, or you require any assistance with getting your application started, get in touch with us today as we’d be delighted to help.

      Our team of lawyers are experts in all aspects of immigration law, so to find out how we can help guide you through the application process and maximise your chances of success, speak to a member of our team today on 0161 532 7794


      You may be interested in reading about.

      We can help you if you need help with your Skilled Worker Visa application. Call us now

        Fill out the form

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Fill out the form

                Request the Appeal Package