Manchester Immigration Lawyers
0161 826 9783 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Fiance Visa UK

The fiance visa is an immigration permission for those who wish to marry or enter into a civil partnership with their partner in the UK.

Call us on 0161 826 9783 for expert guidance on fiance visa requirements and eligibility. Our fiance visa lawyer is here to help over the phone, in person or via Skype.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the fiance visa?

    If you and your partner intend to live together in the UK, you might be eligible for the fiance visa. The fiance visa is designed to allow individuals from outside the UK to enter the UK so that they can marry or begin a civil relationship with their partner in the UK. Their partner must either be a British citizen or someone with settled status in the country.

    The fiancé visa grants you permission to enter and stay in the UK for up to six months. During this six-month period, you must get married to your UK partner.

    After the six-month period has expired, you must switch to another form of immigration permission to remain in the UK. You will be eligible to switch to the spouse visa from the fiancé visa, which will enable you to live in the UK for up to 30 months. You can also apply for a spouse visa extension, which lasts for a further 30 months.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Fiance visa requirements

    In order to be eligible for the fiancé visa, both the the fiance visa applicant and their partner must meet certain requirements. The main fiancé visa requirements are as follows:

    • Both you and your partner must be at least 18
    • Your fiancé must already be living in the UK as a British citizen or person with settled status
    • You must be planning to get married within six months in the UK
    • You need to be able to prove that your relationship is genuine, and that you have met your partner in-person at least once before the date of your application
    • You must intend to live with your partner in the UK after the marriage or civil partnership
    • You must be able to prove that you can financially support yourselves as a couple, without the need to access public funds. If you have any dependents who will be joining you, you must prove that you can financially support them too
    • Your UK partner (sponsor) must be earning at least £29,000 annually (from April 11, 2024), or meet the requirement through other means
    • You need to be able to show that you have suitable accommodation for you and your family
    • If you are from a non-English-speaking country, you need to be able to show that you can understand and communicate in English to at least the level of A1 as set by the Common European Framework of Languages

    UK fiance visa financial requirements

    As mentioned, you will need to prove that you meet certain financial thresholds if you wish to apply for a fiance visa in the UK. As you will be considered as a non-permanent resident, you will not have access to any public funds in the UK.

    You need to prove to the Home Office that you have enough money to support yourself (and any dependents) during your six months of residence in the UK. It is important to bear in mind that a fiance visa holder is not permitted to work in the UK.

    You must prove that you and your UK national partner meet the Spouse Visa financial requirement (you must meet the combined income threshold for a Spouse Visa of at least £29,000 from Spring 2024, with planned increases to £34,500 and eventually £38,700.

    Importantly, from Spring 2024 onward, the minimum income requirement will no longer include a separate child element. This eliminates the need for additional funds per child.

    You can prove your financial means for the fiance visa through:

    • A regular salary through employment
    • Through self-employment
    • Statutory sick pay, maternity, paternity or adoption pay
    • Savings
    • Stocks or shares
    • Property financial gains, such as rent
    • Pension payments

    Note that the guidelines for the Fiance visa may change after the new immigration rules are brought into place from Spring 2024.

    UK fiance visa English language requirement

    The fiance visa requirements expect all applicants to fulfil an English language condition if they are from a non-English-speaking country.

    When applying for a fiance visa, applicants need to demonstrate that they can write and speak in English to an A1 level standard, as set by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

    You can prove your knowledge of English through:

    • A valid English language test certificate which shows your knowledge of English is to at least an A1 level. The test must have been taken at an approved test provider
    • A degree or higher qualification which was taught in English at an educational institution which is recognised by the NARIC

    You are exempt from the English language requirement if:

    • You are over 65
    • You have a mental or physical condition which prevents you from sitting the exam
    • You are a victim of domestic abuse
    • You are a recognised refugee
    • You are living in the UK as an orphan or widow

    You are exempt form the English language requirement if you are a citizen of one of the following countries.

    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Australia
    • The Bahamas
    • Barbados
    • Belize
    • Canada
    • Dominica
    • Grenada
    • Guyana
    • Jamaica
    • New Zealand
    • Republic of Ireland (for citizenship only)
    • St Kitts and Nevis
    • St Lucia
    • St Vincent and the Grenadines
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • The United States of America

    What Information will I need to provide when applying for a fiance visa?

    If you apply for fiancé visa, you will need to provide certain information and documents to the Home Office to prove your eligibility for this partner visa. You will need to provide information about yourself, your partner and any dependents who will be included in the application.

    The specific information and documents which you will need to submit differs somewhat depending on your individual circumstances.

    Still, in most cases, the following information will be needed for a fiance visa:

    • Your name and date of birth
    • Any previous immigration applications
    • Copies of photo page and any previous visas from old passports
    • Divorce certificates, if applicable
    • Details of any criminal convictions
    • Your parents’ date of birth and nationality if you are applying from outside the UK
    • Information about the relationship with your partner, including how long you’ve lived together, how you met and how often you see each other
    • Details of anyone you previously married or had children with
    • Countries outside the UK which you’ve lived in and visited

    Similar information relating to your partner and dependents will also need to be provided.


    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to receive assistance on the Fiance Visa application Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Fiance visa cost and processing time

      The fiance visa costs £1,846 if you apply from abroad, and £1,048 if you apply from within the UK.

      There is no set time frame for receiving a decision on your fiance visa after it has been submitted. However, on average, applications are processed between 2 and 3 months after the date they are received.

      In order to avoid any unnecessary delays, when you apply for fiance visa UK it is important that you submit all necessary supporting documents in your portfolio of evidence. Also, it is crucial that you adhere to all necessary Home Office administrative standards when you complete the fiance visa application form.

      Our Fiance visa lawyers are here to provide expert assistance with your fiance visa application. We can work with you to complete your own fiance visa application to the very highest standard, maximising your chances of securing your fiance visa.

      Call us now on  0161 826 9783 for expert guidance on the fiance visa requirements and application process.

      What happens if my application is accepted?

      If your fiance visa application is accepted, you will be granted permission to enter into the UK for up to six months. The visa is given under the assumption that you will get married within these six months to your UK resident partner and will abide by the conditions imposed on your fiance visa immigration permission.

      As mentioned above, you will need to change your immigration status after your fiance visa has expired. The fiance visa offers a seamless transition to the spouse visa (more below).

      Can I extend my fiance visa?

      Generally speaking, it is not expected that you will need to extend your fiance visa. However, if you did not manage to get married within the six months through no fault of your own, you could be granted with a fiance visa extension.

      The same requirements will need to be fulfilled in order to be eligible for the extension, and there mustn’t have been any significant changes in your circumstances during the time you have spent in the UK.

      What can I do if my fiance visa UK application is rejected?

      When you apply for a fiance visa in the UK, you will need to submit an adequate portfolio of evidence containing all necessary documents and information to support your application. If you fail to demonstrate your eligibility, your application could be delayed or even rejected.

      If you believe that your application was unfairly rejected, you will have the option of challenging the Home Office’s decision. Your refusal letter will set out the reason/s why your application was rejected, and the options you have to challenge the Home Office’s decision.

      If you believe that the Home Office made a genuine mistake, such as not taking a document or some information into consideration, the best option is an administrative review. Your application will be reconsidered by another immigration official with the administrative review.

      In some cases, you might also have the option of a full legal appeal under immigration rules. Our team of fiance visa lawyers can offer full support with the appeal process, including viability of such a route for you, and legal representation at the full hearing before the tribunal.

      To find out how we can help you get the immigration permission you deserve, please call us now on  0161 826 9783.

      How do I switch to spouse visa?

      After you have entered into your marriage/civil partnership, you will be eligible for the spouse visa. The spouse visa is a highly sought-after visa, which grants you permission to remain in the UK for up to two and a half years.

      You will still need to apply for the spouse visa in the same way as any other applicant and fulfil all necessary requirements.

      However, owing to the fact that you have already applied for a fiance visa, which has many similar requirements to the spouse and fiance visa requirements, the process of applying for the spouse visa should be easier to manage.

      You can work and study in the UK as a spouse visa holder, and all time spent in the UK as a spouse visa holder counts towards minimum residency requirements for Indefinite Leave to Remain and British citizenship.

      The spouse visa can be extended for a further two and a half years, after which you will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). ILR is a form of permanent residence, meaning you can remain in the UK without any restrictions.

      You will be eligible to apply for British citizenship after you have lived in the UK under Indefinite Leave to Remain status for 12 months.

      How Can Our UK Fiance Visa Lawyer Help?

      It is not a legal requirement to hire an immigration legal professional when you apply for any UK visa. However, we highly recommend doing so.

      UK immigration law is notoriously complex and, unfortunately, visa rejections are commonplace. By hiring an fiance visa lawyer, you will give yourself the best possible chance of securing your fiance visa.

      Our Manchester immigration lawyers are very well versed in all areas of immigration law, including family and partner immigration law. We can help you through the entire application process for the fiance visa, including full guidance on all the documents you will need to include in your portfolio of evidence.

      Call us now on 0161 826 9783 to find out how we can help make your dreams a reality.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                It is important to note that if you enter the UK under the standard visitor visa, you cannot marry your partner in the UK. You could potentially use time spent in the UK under the visitor visa to make arrangements for your wedding/civil partnership, but you will need to leave the country and apply for a fiance visa to get married or enter a civil partnership in the UK.

                However, there is a specialist UK marriage visa which you can apply for if you intend on marrying in the UK but not settling here. You can stay in the UK for up to 6 months with this visa, and it costs £115 to apply.

                You cannot switch to a spouse visa (or any other UK immigration permission) with a marriage visitor visa and you cannot extend the visa. You also won’t be able to bring any dependents to the UK under this visa.

                You need to get married within 6 months of the date your fiance visa is granted.

                If there are unforeseen circumstances that result in you not being able to marry in this time frame, you might be able to apply for an extension to your fiance visa.

                To fulfil the fiance visa requirements, you and your partner need to be able to demonstrate that you are in a genuine relationship. You will need to prove this through information and certain documentation.

                For example, you will usually need to provide bank statements of joint accounts, reference letters from family, friends or professional people who can vouch that you are in a genuine relationship. If you have children, their birth certificates can act as proof of the relationship too.

                To find out more about the genuine relationship requirement and the information you will need to provide, our Manchester immigration lawyers are at hand to help. Please call us now on 0161 826 9783.

                Citizens of the following countries will not need to fulfil the English language requirement:

                • Antigua and Barbuda
                • Australia
                • the Bahamas
                • Barbados
                • Belize
                • Dominica
                • Grenada
                • Guyana
                • Ireland
                • Jamaica
                • New Zealand
                • St Kitts and Nevis
                • St Lucia
                • St Vincent and the Grenadines
                • Trinidad and Tobago
                • USA