Manchester Immigration Lawyers
0161 826 9783 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Frontier Worker Permit

Following the shake-up to the work visa system, those living overseas who work in the UK will now need a Frontier Worker Permit.

Speak to Manchester Immigration Lawyers today on 0161 826 9783 to find out about how we can help you apply.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a Frontier Worker Permit?

    The Frontier Worker Permit scheme is a visa that’s designed for those who want to work in the UK but are primarily resident in another country. These people are known as frontier workers (or cross border workers).

    When freedom of movement was scrapped as a result of Brexit, this changed the immigration status for frontier workers, making life more complex for anyone working across borders between the UK and other EU countries.

    As a result, along with the new points-based system, the British government introduced the Frontier Worker permit to allow non-UK residents to continue working in the UK.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Frontier Worker Permit application process

    It’s important to familiarise yourself with the application process before you apply for a Frontier Worker Permit. This will ensure you fulfil all the requirements and include everything that’s needed, avoiding any errors or oversights which could put your application in jeopardy.

    You need to start your application online. This is the only way you can begin your application for a Frontier Worker Permit. When you complete your application form, you’ll be asked to prove your identity. How you do this will depend on which document you use to confirm your identity, and whether or not you’re able to use the UK Immigration: ID Check App. To do this you’ll need a smartphone.

    When you submit your application, you’ll need to do one of the following:

    • Use the UK Immigration: ID Check App to scan your identity document
    • Attend a visa application centre to have your photograph and fingerprints taken (if applying from the outside UK and can’t use a smartphone app)
    • Attend a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point (if applying from inside the UK and can’t use smartphone app)Once this is done, you’ll be asked to provide a range of evidence pertaining to your employment as a frontier worker

    Documents needed to apply for the Frontier Worker Permit

    When you apply for a Frontier Worker Permit, just like with any other visa you’ll be required to provide a range of documents to support your application. This is so the Home Office can assess eligibility and determine your identity.

    The exact documents you’ll be asked to provide may differ depending on your circumstances, but generally, you can expect the following to be requested:

    • Passport or national ID card
    • Employment contract, or contracts to work in the UK
    • Payslips, or copies of invoices for work carried out in the UK

    If you have ‘retained’ status, you may be asked for additional documentation to act as evidence. For example, if you’ve informed the Home Office you have an illness, they may ask for a letter from your doctor.

    Likewise, those currently seeking employment may need to provide job searches or proof of applications.


    If you wish to obtain the Frontier Worker Permit, first there are a number of requirements you must meet.

    If the following apply, then you may be eligible:

    • You’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
    • You live outside the UK
    • You started your work or self-employment on or before December 31st 2020

    If all of these don’t apply to you, then the Frontier Worker Permit is the wrong visa to apply for and you’ll need to make an application for a different visa instead.

    In addition, in most cases, it’s also a requirement that you have worked in the UK at least once every 12 months since you began your current employment.

    As well as the aforementioned requirements, the work you’re undertaking must also be deemed as ‘genuine and effective’. This basically means you’ll need to be doing more than just small, one-off tasks such as an interview, taking part in an event or signing a contract.

    For anyone who’s unsure whether or not their work meets the requirement, the Home Office’s official website has guidance on what constitutes ‘genuine and effective’ work.

    What qualifies as living outside the UK?

    One of the key requirements when applying for a Frontier Worker Permit is you must live ‘primarily’ outside the UK. However, if you’re looking to make an application, you might be wondering exactly how this is defined.

    If you spent less than 180 days in the UK over the course of any 12-month period since your current employment, you should be eligible.

    In the event you spent 180 days or more in the UK during a 12-month period, you may still be eligible if you returned to the country you live in at least either:

    • Once every 6 months
    • Twice in the 12-month period

    If exceptional circumstances such as illness or COVID restrictions have prevented you from travelling to your home country, you may be able to apply anyway.

    Likewise, if you’ve been unable to work or unemployed during a 12-month period due to unforeseen circumstances, you may still be eligible. This may be because you were:

    • Temporarily unable to work because of illness or an accident
    • Temporarily unable to work because you were pregnant or you’d given birth
    • You’ve been unable to come to the UK to work due to COVID-19
    • You’re voluntarily unemployed and undertaking vocational training related to your last employment
    • Involuntarily unemployed and either looking for work or undertaking vocational training

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to learn how to apply for a Frontier Worker Permit Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Retained worker status

      If you’re unable to work for any of the reasons above, you’ll automatically receive what’s known as ‘retained worker’ or ‘retained self-employed person’ status.

      If you become involuntarily unemployed and are looking for work, the length of time for which you receive this status will depend on how long you worked in the UK.

      Those who worked in the UK for less than a year before becoming unemployed will receive retained worker status for 6 months, while anyone who worked in the UK for a year or more will keep this status for as long as they continue to look for work.

      To prove you’re looking for work, you’ll need to be registered with an employment office such as Jobcentre Plus.

      Cost of the Frontier Worker Permit

      The Frontier Worker Permit is free to apply for. Unlike many other visas in the United Kingdom, there’s no fee for submitting an application.

      Moreover, the employer is not required to pay the immigration skills fee (usually £1000) and the applicant won’t need to pay the immigration health surcharge.

      Awaiting your decision

      Once you’ve completed the application form, provided all the evidence and confirmed your identity (in person or using your smartphone), you must wait to hear back from the Home Office.

      If you need to change anything on your application after it’s been submitted, you should contact the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). You should do this as soon as possible to avoid any significant delays.

      If your application is approved, you’ll be sent a notice confirming this.

      Once you’ve received notice your application has been approved, you should then receive your Frontier Worker Permit within 10 days. Those who applied with the smartphone app will receive this notice in digital form.

      If your application for a Frontier Worker permit is refused, you will receive a letter from the Home Office detailing the reasons why.

      The letter will also explain if you’re eligible for either an administrative review or an immigration decision appeal.

      Pursuing either an administrative review or an appeal can be a long, costly and complex process. It’s highly recommended that you seek the help from an immigration lawyer if you wish to do either of these things. Contact Manchester Immigration Lawyers for expert advice and assistance on 0161 826 9783 or contact us online today.

      How long does the Frontier Worker Permit last?

      The period of time your Frontier Worker Permit lasts will depend on your circumstances.

      If you were employed when you made the application then your permit will be valid for a period of 5 years.

      Alternatively, if you had ‘retained’ status when you made your application then your Frontier Worker Permit will be valid for 2 years instead.

      Once your permit has expired, if you wish to continue working in the UK on the same type of visa then you’ll need to apply for an extension.

      How can your Manchester immigration lawyers help?

      Here at Manchester immigration lawyers, we have a wealth of expertise in all aspects of immigration law, including Frontier Worker permits.

      Every day we work with people in the same situation as you, and you can rest assured we’re best placed to help with your application and provide the best possible chances of success of obtaining Frontier Worker status.

      Whether you require assistance with determining your eligibility for a UK work visa such as the Frontier Worker visa, unsure about which visa is right for your own personal situation, or just need to talk to an immigration adviser one-on-one for the greatest amount of personal support, we can help.

      We can also assist you with obtaining a Skilled Worker visa if you wish to permanently settle in the UK long-term.

      For more information about the services we can provide and what we can do for you, don’t hesitate to reach out to us on 0161 826 9783 or contact us online.

      For assistance with your Frontier Worker Permit contact our team today Get in touch

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                Unfortunately not. As the Frontier Worker Permit is for those who live overseas, time spent in the UK on this type of visa won’t count towards your Indefinite Leave to Remain qualifying period.

                If you eventually want to obtain permanent residence, you could take the Skilled Worker Visa route instead.

                You can apply to renew your Frontier Worker permit online through the website.

                When you apply, you must ensure that you still meet the eligibility requirements for the permit.

                If you’re not employed or self-employed when you wish to renew your permit, you’ll instead be able to apply for a 2-year permit as an individual with ‘retained’ status, as detailed in the section above.

                Unfortunately, family members are not covered by the Frontier Worker permit.

                If you wish for your family members to be able to travel to, and work in, the UK, they may instead be able to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme.