Manchester Immigration Lawyers
0161 826 9783 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Student Visa UK

If you wish to study in the UK, then you will need to apply for a UK Student visa.

The Tier 4 (General) Student visa was rebranded the Student visa in 2020. Some changes to the Student visa include a new post-study visa route, effective as of June 2021.

Contact a Manchester lawyer now on 0161 826 9783  to receive advice about how to apply for a Student visa. We are experienced in all UK visas and immigration matters.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a Student visa?

    A UK Student visa enables international students to study in the UK. The previous Tier 4 (General) Student visa is now called the Student visa.

    The Student visa allows students to live in the UK whilst they study. It lasts for the duration of their course as well as a short time afterwards.

    If a student wants to stay in the UK after their studies, they will need to make an application to extend their Student visa or switch to another UK visa route or immigration category.

    Some recent changes to the Student visa mean you can now apply for a post-study visa route, sometimes called the Graduate visa.

    To apply for a Student visa, certain requirements need to be met. These include:

    • Having secured a place on a UK-registered course and in receipt of a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
    • 70 points on the points-based immigration system
    • Passing an English Language Test (SELT)

    Scroll down for more information about the requirements for a Student visa.

    Who can apply?

    You can apply for a UK Student visa if you can meet these requirements:

    • You are 16 years of age or over
    • You have been offered a place on a course by a registered UK university, school or educational facility
    • You can understand, speak, read and write English
    • You can support yourself financially whilst in the UK including paying for your course

    Apply for a Student Visa

    Student visa requirements

    The UK Student visa is a part of the UK points-based immigration system and requires applicants to attain 70 points.

    Applicants will score 30 points for having a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and a further 10 points for meeting the maintenance requirements.

    Before you apply for a Student visa you should ensure you can meet all the requirements. You will need to:

    • Have proof of a place on a UK registered course in the form of a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
    • Demonstrate your knowledge of the English language
    • Prove that you can financially support yourself and pay for your course
    • Show permission from a parent or legal guardian – if under 18
    • Provide your Tuberculosis test results – if you are from a country where Tuberculosis is common

    Scroll down to find out which documents are required when you apply for a Student visa, or click here: Student visa required documents.

    Student visa application process

    To apply for a Student visa in the UK, you need to use the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) online application process found on

    You must apply for the Student visa outside of the UK. You can only complete your application inside of the UK if you are extending a Student visa you already have.

    The earliest you can apply for a Student visa is 3 months before the start date of your course.

    You’ll usually get a decision about your Student visa application within 3 weeks.

    Student visa fees

    When you apply for a Student visa, there are certain  costs and fees you will be required to pay, as follows:

    • Student visa fee: £490
    • English language test: £150 (if required)
    • Tuberculosis test: £65-110 (if required)
    • Having Biometric Information taken (Photo’s and fingerprints for your Biometric Residence Permit): £19.20
    • Immigration Health Surcharge: £776 for every year of your course

    Bringing family members

    Some students may want to bring family members with them. You can bring family members with you on a Student visa if you are either:

    • A government-sponsored student starting a course that lasts 6 months or longer
    • Enrolled in a postgraduate course designated as a research programme that lasts 9 months or longer

    Eligible postgraduate programmes include PhDs and other doctoral qualifications or masters programmes with a research component, including a requirement to produce original work.

    International students who do not fit either one of these categories will not be eligible to bring their dependents with them to the UK.

    The UK Student visa allows you to apply to bring married, civil, and unmarried partners; and children under the age of 18 with you to the UK.

    To do this you must be able to prove you are financially able to support your dependents whilst in the UK.

    For each dependent you will also need to pay:

    •  £40 for the visa
    •  The healthcare surcharge

    How long does a Student visa last?

    With a Student visa you are eligible to stay in the UK for the duration of your course.

    If your course lasts 6 months or less you can arrive 1 week before your start date.

    If your course lasts over 6 months then you can arrive up to 1 month before your start date.

    The amount of time you can stay in the UK for after your course has ended, depends on the type of course and length of study.

    You can apply to extend your Student visa if you wish to study for longer or study a new course. You must be in the UK to do this and apply whilst your current visa is valid.

    If you wish to stay in the UK after you have finished studying you will have to choose another immigration category. There is now the option to apply for the Graduate visa.

    Get in touch with our expert immigration lawyers to learn how to apply for a Student Visa. Contact us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      English language requirements

      When you apply for a Student visa, you will need to prove that you have knowledge of the English language. This usually means you will need to pass a test through a secure English language testing (SELT) provider. The test will prove your proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and understanding English.

      The level you need to pass depends on where you are studying and what type of course you are on. Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) can choose how they assess the English proficiency of an international student but they must be at least:

      • CEFR level B2 if you’re studying at a degree level or higher
      • SELT in reading, writing, listening and speaking and CEFR level B1 if you’re not studying at a degree level

      You don’t need to take the English language test if you are from a majority English speaking country (like the US, Canada or Australia) or if you have a degree that was taught in English.

      Required documents

      When you apply for the Student visa, you will need these documents:

      • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
      • A valid passport
      • A passport-sized photo that meets the UKVI requirements
      • Evidence of English language proficiency
      • Evidence of qualifications
      • Evidence that you meet the financial requirements
      • Translations of any non-English documents
      • Tuberculosis test results – if you are from a country where tuberculosis is frequent
      • Criminal record certificate
      • Letter from a parent of legal guardian – if you are under 18 years old

      Extending your Student visa

      Extending a Student visa is possible in certain circumstances. Currently, it’s also possible for the old Tier 4 (General) Student visa to be extended too.

      In order to extend your Student visa, you must:

      • Be in the UK on a Student visa or Tier 4 (General) Student visa
      • Have an unconditional offer on a course with a licensed student sponsor
      • Be able to provide a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
      • Be able to show that the course is at a higher academic level than your current course

      To find out more about Student visa extensions and the application process, please call our Manchester immigration lawyers now on 0161 532 9589, we are available in-person or remotely via phone or online.

      Graduate visa: post-course options

      You now have further options after your course is finished, following a rebranding of the student route in 2020.

      The change means there is now a route to UK residency for international students who have graduated from either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree.

      This immigration permission is sometimes referred to as the Graduate visa. It permits graduates to work, look for work and live in the UK for up to two years.

      PhD students can remain in the UK under the Graduate visa for up to three years.

      This visa will be available from the Summer of 2021 and will be open to international students who have graduated in the UK.

      If you need support with your Student visa application, get in touch with our Manchester lawyers, we OISC-certified. We look forward to assisting with your visa requirements.

      What services does Manchester Immigration Lawyers offer?

      At Manchester Immigration Lawyers, we understand the importance of getting the best education possible.

      We are accustomed to assisting prospective international students with successfully obtaining their Student Visas.

      Speak to a Manchester lawyer if you need help with applying for a Student visa. Our lawyers are OISC-registered and can talk you through the best Student visa options or other immigration route for you to come and study in the UK.

      The visa services we offer include:

      • ensuring you have the necessary documents for a successful visa application
      • confirming that your prospective university or educational institution fulfils the criteria to act as your UK sponsor
      • contacting your  Tier 4 Sponsor and liaising with them
      • arranging and securing your CAS from your University
      • writing a Letter of Representation for submission alongside your application. This letter strengthens your case and makes references to valid UK immigration laws to support your visa application
      • corresponding with the Home Office to ensure any delays or issues are resolved
      • completing your application form thoroughly and correctly compiling the supporting documents

      We can also help you if you are a UK-based student interested in learning how to study abroad or wanting to find out how to prepare for studying abroad. We have emigration lawyers who can assist you with any enquiry you have about moving from the UK to another country.

      Call us on 0161 532 9589 today or make an enquiry using our online form to begin your journey towards study in the UK or abroad.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              If you require assistance to apply for a student visa, our team is happy to assist. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Frequently Asked Questions

                You may be able to extend your Student visa to continue studying on your course for longer or to study on a new course.

                You must apply whilst in the UK before your current Student visa expires.

                If your Student visa application is refused you may be able to apply for Administrative Review. If the application for Administrative Review is successful then the refusal will be withdrawn.

                A Student visa allows you to work in UK for a maximum of 20 hours a week if you’re on a degree level course or 10 hours a week if your course is under degree level.

                This includes paid and unpaid work. You can also work full time during vacation periods.