Manchester Immigration Lawyers
0161 826 9783 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Temporary Worker Visa

If you would like to work in the UK temporarily, the Temporary Worker visa may be ideal for you.

This UK work visa allows you to work in the UK for a period of up to twelve months.

To find out how our immigration lawyers in Manchester can assist you to apply for a UK work visa, call an immigration advisor on 0161 826 9783.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is a Temporary Workers visa?

    If you live outside of the EEA (European Economic Area), you may be subject to immigration controls if you wish to live or work in the UK.

    One of the best visa routes for those who would like to work in the UK on a short-term basis – for 12 months or less – is the Temporary Worker visa.

    You can apply for a Temporary Worker visa if you want to come to the UK for work experience, training, research, a fellowship through an approved government-authorised charity worker visa, exchange scheme or an Overseas Government Language Programme.

    Whilst in the UK on a Temporary Worker visa, you will be able to work in the job described on your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), study, take a second job for up to 20 hours a week and bring certain family members with you as dependents.

    You do have to have received a job offer from a licensed UK sponsor. If you are from a country which is eligible to participate in the UK’s Youth Mobility Scheme, you may be able to gain entry into the UK without holding a job offer.

    Under this visa category, there are five different routes that you may apply for depending on which is most suitable for the temporary work visas you will be doing. The Temporary Worker visa allows only certain types of temporary workers to enter the UK for cultural, charitable, religious, sporting or international objectives.

    If you are looking to do an eligible job for an approved company where the job role is at or above a minimum skill level (RQF level 3, which is roughly equivalent to A-levels), then the Skilled Worker visa may be more appropriate.

    Our Manchester immigration lawyers have extensive experience in preparing and submitting Temporary Worker visa and other UK work visa applications to the Home Office.

    Allow us to alleviate the stress of moving to a new country by hiring the legal assistance of one of our specialist immigration advisors.

    Contact our immigration client care team today to discuss your options and arrange a consultation: 0161 826 9783.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    Am I eligible for a Temporary Worker visa?

    To qualify for a UK Temporary Work visa, you must be intending to work in a particular field.

    You can apply for a UK work visa listed below one of the following visa categories which fall under this points-based route:

    • Creative and Sporting – This is for those who are highly skilled sportspersons, musicians or actors. You must be internationally recognised in order to qualify for this category
    • Charity Workers – If you will be covering an unpaid voluntary role for a UK registered charity, this is a suitable visa route
    • Religious Workers – If you intend to preach or work in a UK monastery/convent by a religious order, this route is ideal for you
    • Government Authorised Exchange – This is for those who are nationals of a country which has signed an approved exchange scheme with the UK. Young foreign nationals via this exchange can participate in training, work experience or academic research in the UK
    • International Agreement – This is specifically for individuals who have received a job offer which is covered by international law, including diplomatic and embassy roles

    To discuss which visa route is most suitable to you and your personal circumstances, contact one of our experienced immigration lawyers in Manchester on 0161 826 9783.


    temporary work visa uk

    How do I apply for a Temporary Worker Visa?

    To apply for a Temporary Worker Visa, you must ensure that you meet all necessary requirements first.

    One of our OISC-accredited immigration lawyers in Manchester can assess your eligibility, ensuring that you meet the specific criteria.

    Some of the primary requirements include:

    • You must hold a valid job offer from a UK-based institution (which has a valid UK Sponsor Licence)
    • You must have received a Certificate of Sponsorship from your sponsor
    • You must be able to demonstrate that you have at least £945 in savings, available within your bank account for 90 consecutive days prior to applying for this visa

    Once you have established whether you are eligible, your application must contain the sufficient level of supporting documentation to demonstrate that you fulfil the criteria.

    UKVI will consider the following:

    • Knowledge of the role
    • That you have relevant experience in relation to the skills required to perform the role
    • Details of the UK Sponsor
    • Information regarding how you were recruited

    As with all visas under the points-based system, you must achieve the minimum required points in order to achieve a successful application and valid visa.

    Points are available to you if you:

    • Provide the Certificate of Sponsorship (this makes up 30 points)
    • Fulfil the maintenance requirement (this is worth 10 points)

    One of our dedicated immigration lawyers in Manchester can provide step-by-step guidance for your Temporary Workers Visa application.

    We can complete and submit this application to the Home Office on your behalf, keeping in contact with UKVI and maintaining responsibility.

    If you have any questions about your Temporary Workers Visa, our team is happy to assist. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What is the Government Authorised Exchange?

      The Government Authorised Exchange is for applicants who wish to learn new skills by undergoing work placements in the UK. This route must not be used to recruit unskilled foreign workers.

      Once you have received a Certificate of Sponsorship for the Government Authorised Exchange scheme, the sponsor is guaranteeing that:

      • You will be entering the UK to work or train temporarily through an approved exchange scheme
      • You will not establish a business in the UK while under the Government Authorised Exchange scheme
      • You fulfil the requirements of the specific exchange scheme you wish to participate in

      Under the Government Authorised Exchange, you may also participate in an Overseas Government Language Programme.

      What is the Creative and Sporting category?

      To apply for a Temporary Worker visa under the Creative and Sporting category, you must meet the specific eligibility requirements.


      Only those considered professional sportspersons can apply via the Temporary Worker visa category. You must provide crucial services in this field either as an athlete or a coach, at a professional or semi-professional level of your sport.

      Additionally, if you apply for Temporary Worker visa as a sportsperson, you must demonstrate that you will make a significant contribution to the development of this sport.

      Creative Person

      If you’re looking to apply for a Temporary Worker visa as a Creative, you must similarly fulfil the necessary criteria. Dancers, models in the fashion industry, and actors will only be eligible for the Temporary Worker visa if their UK sponsor can demonstrate that they could not hire a British seasonal worker visa for this role.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                If you are applying for a Temporary Worker visa, UKVI will firstly establish whether you genuinely intend to participate in the work/exchange scheme that you have applied for.

                All UK Temporary Worker visas require the applicant to undergo the Migrant Test, with the exception of those working under the seasonal employment scheme.

                To assess your eligibility for the Temporary Worker visa, the UKVI will analyse your knowledge of the role, understanding of the recruitment process and previous experience which is relevant to the position.

                The Youth Mobility Scheme is a branch of the Temporary Worker Visa which allows those aged between 18-30 to work in the UK for up to two years.

                It is important to note, however, that this route is only open to those who are from specific countries: Australia, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, Monaco, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Republic of Korea.

                If you have children for whom you are financially responsible, you will not be eligible for this visa route to work in the UK.

                Similarly, if you have already participated in any other UK working holiday scheme, you will not qualify.

                You must have £1,809 worth of funds available to apply for the Youth Mobility Scheme.

                Your initial permitted stay in the UK under a Temporary Worker visa is 12 months.

                However, once you reach the end of this period, you may be able to apply for an extension which will allow you to continue working with the same employer (UK sponsor) for a total of 24 months.

                If your Temporary Worker visa is due to expire and you would like to remain in the UK, our immigration lawyers in Manchester can offer tailored legal guidance, evaluating the best options open to you.

                You may be eligible for a Temporary Worker visa extension or perhaps a different UK visa route would be better for you.

                To find out how we can assist you with your Temporary Worker visa extension or to explore your other options, contact our client care team on 0161 826 9783.


                Our immigration experts in Manchester are highly qualified and have vast experience in all areas of immigration law – including the Temporary Worker visa.

                We recognise that UK immigration law can be extremely challenging to navigate, particularly post-Brexit.

                To alleviate some of the inevitable pressures, allow our immigration lawyers to take responsibility of your UK Temporary Worker visa application.

                We know what makes a successful application and which key errors to avoid. We are also aware of the required level of supporting documentation and can support you in compiling this.

                We are available in-person, via telephone or via online video call such as Skype.

                No matter where you are or what your immigration query, we’re here to help.

                To find out more about how our OISC-accredited immigration specialists can help with your Temporary Worker visa, contact our client care team on 0161 826 9783.