Manchester Immigration Lawyers
0161 826 9783 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

UK Fiancé(e) Visa Document Checklist

Are you looking to make an application for a UK fiancé(e) visa? If so, and you need any advice or support with this or any other immigration-related topic, call us on 0203 411 1966.

We offer our full range of services over the phone and via Skype.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    UK Fiancé(e) Visa Document Checklist

    If you wish to enter the UK to marry a British citizen or settled person, you can apply for a fiancé(e) visa. This type of visa allows you to stay in the country for six months, although it can be easily extended to allow you to remain in the UK for longer. To do this, you simply need to fill out the FLR (M) visa application form before the initial time period expires.

    What are the requirements for a UK fiancé(e) visa?

    Historically, these types of visas have been open to abuse, with some people posing as couples just to get a visa for someone from overseas. In order to combat this, the Home Office has introduced a number of requirements that couples must now meet before these types of visas can be granted, so before you or your partner is granted a UK fiancé(e) visa, you must satisfy the criteria.


    • The applicant and the sponsor must be in a relationship that is both ‘genuine’ and ‘subsisting’
    • You must both be over the age of 18
    • You must have met in person
    • Must intend to live together once the visa is obtained
    • If either was previously in a marriage or civil partnership than that marriage must have broken down

    When making your application for a fiancé(e) visa, you must also provide evidence of your intention to marry.

    Financial requirements:

    When applying for a fiancé(e) visa, the sponsor must be able to prove they can comfortably afford for their partner to come and live with them in the UK. To determine this, the Home Office has put some minimum requirements in place to ensure the sponsor is earning enough and/or has enough savings for both them and their partner to live adequately without the need for state help.

    You must prove that you and your UK national partner meet the Spouse Visa financial requirement (you must meet the combined income threshold for a Spouse Visa of at least £29,000, with planned increases to £34,500 and eventually £38,700.

    Importantly, from Spring 2024 onward, the minimum income requirement will no longer include a separate child element. This eliminates the need for additional funds per child.

    If the sponsor’s income fails to meet these financial requirements, some of the shortfall can be made up with savings. In order to do this, your cash savings must amount to at least £16,000, plus £2.50 for every £1 you are short.

    For instance, if you require an income of £22,400 to sponsor an application for your partner and her child, but you only earn £20,000, you’d need to have at least £22,000 in savings (£16,000 + shortfall of £2,400 x 2.5).

    It may be useful to know that while only the income of the sponsor is accountable, you can include savings of both the applicant and the sponsor to make up some of the shortfall in earnings which should with sufficient knowledge make reaching the required amount easier.

    English language:

    As another requirement when making an application for a fiancé(e) visa you’ll need to demonstrate competency in the English language. To do this, the fiancé visa applicant will either need to hold an academic qualification that was taught in English, or they’ll need to take an approved English language test.

    If you hold a degree that was taught in English, then you will not need to complete an English language test. If the degree was studied for in the UK, you’ll just need your certificate. If the degree was studied overseas, you’ll need to provide a certificate from UK NARIC to show your qualification is equivalent to a UK degree and that it was taught in English.

    For those who don’t possess the required qualification will need to pass an approved English language test to at least CERF level A1. This will assess your speaking, reading and listening ability to ensure you’re currently at the level required to live in the UK.

    Other requirements


    When you’re applying for a visa, you and your sponsor must prove that you have somewhere to live. If you

    According to E-ECP.3.4 of the Appendix FM, when making the application, “the applicant must provide evidence that there will be adequate accommodation, without recourse to public funds, for the family.”

    When relating to accommodation, the term “adequate” means the property will not be overcrowded. According to the government’s housing regulations, this means everyone over the age of 10 who is of the opposite sex needs their own room. Two children aged 1-9 are able to share a room, as can couples. Children under the age of 1 are disregarded.

    TB test:

    Applicants arriving from countries where screening for Tuberculosis screening is required, you’ll need to provide a test at a clinic approved by the Home Office.


    pen on a notepad with passport in background

    What documents do I need for my UK fiancé(e) visa application?

    When filling out the application form for a fiancé(e) visa online, the website will automatically generate a basic document checklist of some of the documentation you’ll need to supply in support of your fiancé visa application.

    However, please note that this checklist is meant to be used as a rough guide only, and in many cases not ALL the documents required will be listed on there. In fact, this is one of the most common mistakes people make when making an application for a fiancé(e) visa, as they mistakenly assume they only need to provide the documents the basic checklist is, when in reality they may need to provide more. As a result, their application for spouse visa can be delayed or even rejected.

    Although the exact documentation supporting documents you’ll need to provide will depend on your circumstances, here’s what you may have to include:

    • Valid passport: this is a requirement for every application
    • Proof of earnings: the sponsor will need to provide evidence their income meets the minimum financial requirements. This will usually be with wage slips, bank statement etc.
    • Documents to prove relationship requirement is met: when applying as a fiancé(e)
    • English language test: if the applicant is required to complete an English language test, the certificate will need to be provided
    • Degree: those exempt from the English language requirement as they have a degree taught in English will need to provide proof of this qualification
    • TB test: if the applicant is subject to a test for Tuberculosis, then a copy of the certificate must be provided
    • Proof of accommodation: depending on whether the property is rented or owned, proof of where the applicant will live will be required. This will usually take the form of tenancy agreement, mortgage deeds etc
    • Supporting letter: while this is by no means mandatory, a supporting letter will help you set out to the Home Office how you meet the requirements, and it also gives you the chance to highlight the strengths of your case

    Advice from Manchester immigration layers on the documents required for fiancé(e) visa

    As stated already, the exact requirements work on a case-by-case basis and depend on the circumstances of previous marriage for both you and your partner, so it’s difficult to say for sure what documents you need for a fiancé(e) visa. However, our Manchester immigration lawyers are experts in this field, with a wealth of experience to guide you through the process every step of the way.

    If you require our assistance with your own application process for a fiancé(e) visa, then get in touch with our Manchester immigration lawyers by calling 0203 411 1966. We have a team of highly-trained lawyers who specialise in this area and can advise you on the best course of action.