Manchester Immigration Lawyers
0161 826 9783 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

What documents do I need to bring my spouse to the UK?

It’s incredibly important to assemble all the relevant documents you can when making a Spouse visa application to bring your partner to the UK. This vital evidence will support you bringing you and your partner’s application, and verify your relationship. Our lawyers can help you put together a strong application to meet the necessary requirements.

For further information, contact our team on 0161 532 7993.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Documents to prove a genuine relationship

    These documents must be used to meet the “genuine relationship” requirement. For a Spouse visa, you and your partner must show that you have been in a relationship and lived together for at least two years. You can only make an application if your partner in the UK is a:

    • British citizen
    • Has indefinite leave to remain or is settled in the UK
    • Has settled status from the EU Settlement Scheme

    If you have pre-settled status, your family member may be able to still apply for a Spouse visa. However, they could apply to the EU Settlement Scheme themselves as a family member instead, if they are eligible. An immigration lawyer can advise your best course of action based on personal circumstances.

    This requirement is notoriously hard to achieve. Too little or even too much evidence has each given reason for the Home Office to refuse an application. However, working with an immigration lawyer means you have someone dedicated at your side to get the balance right.

    The kind of document you’d need to include to evidence your relationship are:

    • Marriage certificate
    • Evidence to show any and all other relationships for either partner are null and void – for example if you or your partner have been married before you will need to provide evidence of a divorce
    • A tenancy or mortgage agreement to show you have lived together
    • Financial information, such as a shared bank account or bills
    • Chat logs, text messages, Skype conversations etc to show your communication
    • Pictures of you together can also be really helpful to show the history of your relationship

    two outstretched arms holding passports against a blue sky and building background

    Travel and immigration documents

    The Home Office will need to see evidence of your travel arrangements into the UK. This can be to show your ability to support your own travel into and around the country. It is also the department’s job to ascertain how long you intend to stay in the country.

    They will also require evidence of your current immigration status, travel history and your criminal background. It’s important not to lie or try to conceal any potential past convictions as this could count against your application. Some documents you might need include:

    • Plane and train tickets
    • Valid passport
    • Any past visa information
    • Evidence of any other documents to account for your travel history
    Spouse visa

    Do you need help applying for a Skilled Worker Visa? Our lawyers can assist you. Get in touch

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Financial requirement documents

      To qualify for a Spouse visa, you must prove that you and your UK national partner meet the Spouse Visa financial requirement (you must meet the combined income threshold for a Spouse Visa of at least £29,000, with planned increases to £34,500 and eventually £38,700.

      Importantly, from Spring 2024 onward, the minimum income requirement will no longer include a separate child element. This eliminates the need for additional funds per child.

      To qualify for the minimum income requirement, you can use:

      • Income from employment and self-employment
      • Cash savings over £16,000
      • Pensions
      • Income from dividends or property

      Documents you’d need to provide include:

      • At least six months worth of payslips showing the regular income
      • Bank statements
      • A supporting letter from an employer to confirm your position there

      The Home Office official will be looking for evidence that you and your partner can adequately support yourselves in the UK, without getting any support from the government. The Spouse visa, as with most visa categories has a “no recourse to public funds” condition, meaning you cannot access any mainstream benefits.

      Please note that these guidelines are subject to change once the new immigration rules come into effect from Spring 2024.

      Evidence of English language requirement

      For this, you will need to be able to prove you have English language skills of at least an A1 level. If you want to extend your visa after two and a half years in the UK, you will need to be at A2 level.

      You can prove your knowledge of English by passing an English language test or by acedmic qualifications.

      The documents you may need to do so are:

      • Your Secure English Language test certificate (SELT)
      • A degree certificate from a university or college that you studied at in the UK
      • A “visa and nationality statement” from an organisation called Ecctis, which will confirm your qualifications are the same as a degree awarded in the UK as long as it was taught in English

      If you did not study in English, you will need to take an English language test regardless.

      Documents from your UK spouse or partner

      Your partner or spouse will also need provide a letter to be entered along with your application to give support to your visa application and why the Home Office should grant you entry.

      Your partner or spouse in the UK will also need to provide documents to verify their own personal details including:

      • Personal details
      • Nationality
      • Passport
      • Proof of their right to be in the UK, for example their British citizenship or ILR status

      What if I don’t have evidence I can meet a specific requirement?

      Due to the pandemic, many services and visa centres have been closed in your country and in the UK for most of a year, and are now dealing with backlogs and delays. In some cases, for the financial requirement and for most of the other eligibility requirements you need to meet, the Home Office will be able to decide your application without certain documents if you have been unable to acquire them. You will need to explain this with your application.

      Furthermore, if you have lost income or your job due to the coronavirus pandemic, up to 31 may 2021, the Home Office will look at your previous income beforehand, as long as it meets the minimum income requirement for at least six months. If you have been furloughed, they will act as if you are earning your full salary.

      How can Manchester Immigration Lawyers help you?

      With so many varied requirements, it is imperative that you contact an immigration law firm that can act on your behalf in accordance with your individual needs.

      Our Manchester immigration lawyers are here to discuss your circumstances over the phone or via our online form.

      Call us today on 0161 532 7993.

      You may be interested in reading about.

      We can help you if you need help with your Skilled Worker Visa application. Call us now

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package

                Frequently Asked Questions

                To qualify for a UK partner and spouse visa, you must meet specific criteria:

                Your partner in the UK is a British or Irish citizen, holds Indefinite Leave to Remain, refugee status, humanitarian protection, or a Turkish visa. You plan to live together in the UK, showcasing a genuine relationship. You can financially support yourselves, with a minimum annual income of £18,600. You have appropriate UK accommodation. You meet the English language requirement, typically at level A1 for the initial visa application.

                To complete your online application for a UK partner and spouse visa, follow these instructions:

                1. Confirm your eligibility.
                2. Gather the required documents.
                3. Fill out the online application form.
                4. Make the necessary payment.
                5. Upload supporting documents.
                6. Arrange a biometric appointment for fingerprint and photo submission.
                7. Attend an interview if requested.

                In 2023, the UK spouse visa costs £1,048 for in-country applications and £1,538 for those outside the UK.

                You’ll also need to pay £624 per year for the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge and a £19.20 biometric fee.

                If you want a super-fast decision within one working day, there’s an extra £800 charge.

                Yes, you can renew your partner and spouse visa for 2 years and 6 months after the first 2 years and 9 months.

                If you hold a partner and spouse visa, there’s no set time limit for being outside the UK. Family visa holders are exempt from the 180-day rule for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

                Yes, you can add your children as dependants on your UK Spouse visa application. You will have to provide financial proof that you can provide for them in your application.