Who is eligible for a Skilled Worker visa extension?
When you make your original application for a skilled worker visa, you will receive up to two and a half years of leave to remain in the UK. You must have scored 70 points under the points-based system and had a job with a licensed employer that sponsored you to take up their job role.
For you to apply for a Skiled Worker visa extension, all of those same conditions must be met once again. If you are in the same job role with the same employer the following applies:
- Your employer must apply for a new certificate of sponsorship. You can then apply for a new visa within three months, and 60 days before your leave expires
- Earning the minimum salary threshold of £25,600 or less if you previously met the requirements for an exception
- You will have proven your English language level on your original application so you shouldn’t have to prove it again
- You’ll also need to update your biometric residence permit and prove your identity on the UK Immigration: ID Check app
Applications for extensions for your dependents will need to be done at the same time.
Who can apply for a dependent visa extension?
If your partner and children are already inside the UK, they will need to apply for a visa extension separately. They should apply at the same time, as soon as the main Skilled Worker visa applicant has been granted leave. If they cannot apply at the same time, they can apply for an extension at a later date but it must be before their current visa expires.
All applications can be carried out online, with different forms depending on who is making the application. Dependent partners applying with children should use the dependent partner form on the government website. Dependent children can also apply on their own using this form.
People who can apply as dependents are:
- Husband, wife, civil or unmarried partner
- Children who are under 18, as well as those born in the UK while you have lived here
- Children over 18 if they are with you as a dependent adult and not living an independent life
You must be able to prove:
- Your relationship with your partner
- That any children over 16 live with you, are not married and are financially supported by you
What are the eligibility requirements?
Dependents partners and children can apply from inside the UK for an extension to a Skilled Worker dependent visa. They can also apply to switch from another visa. This will not be possible however on certain types of visa, for example:
- on a visit visa
- on a short-term student visa
- on a Parent of a Child Student visa
- on a seasonal worker visa
- on a domestic worker in a private household visa
- if they were given leave to remain in the UK on compassionate grounds
Coming to the UK on a Skilled Worker visa means you and your family will have no access to government support while you are working in the UK. While you must also meet the minimum income requirement, there are some financial requirements for your dependents too.
Your partner and each child will need to show they have the following amounts of money in a bank account for at least 28 consecutive days before their application and within one month of applying for the visa extension:
- £285 for your partner
- £315 for one child
- £200 for each additional child
This is additional to proving you have £1270 to support yourself for your Skilled Worker visa application.
They’ll also need your personal details, your application number and your certificate of sponsorship number.
What happens if I change employer when I apply for an extension?
If you are doing a different job for the same employer, you wont need to apply to update your visa unless the occupation code has changed.
You will however need to apply to update your visa if:
- You are taking on a second job that is more than 20 hours a week
- Or the second job is a different occupation code
- You are taking a new job with a different employer
- You change occupation codes with your new role
- The new role is not on the shortage occupation list
In all these instances, you will need to apply again and be issued with a new certificate of sponsorship from your employer. Whatever job role you are changing to, it must also meet all the eligibility requirements as before.
You must apply three months before the expiry of your current visa. For your dependents, it is extremely important that you have received the decision of your application and your new certificate of sponsorship before they make any applications. They will need to use your updated information to make a dependent Skiled Worker visa application extension as before and using invalid information would usually mean their applications will be refused.
How much will it cost?
Before you make your application to extend with your family, it’s important to budget adequately for all the associated costs, which can vary depending on the type of job the Skilled Worker visa holder will be doing and how long you are staying for.
Applying to extend your Skilled Worker visa from inside the UK costs:
- £704 per person for up to three years of leave
- £1408 per person for more than three years
This is slightly more expensive than making an application from outside of the UK.
If your job is on the shortage occupation list however, you and your family members will pay lower fees. In this instance, the application cost:
- £464 if you’re staying for up to 3 years
- £928 if you’re staying for more than 3 years
Each person must also pay the healthcare surcharge when they apply, usually £624. As mentioned before, you will also need to prove you have additional money in your account to support yourself and your dependents financially.
How can Manchester Immigration Lawyers help?
When you’re looking to extend your Skilled Worker visa for your dependents, we know staying in the UK with your family is at the heart of your decision. That’s why our immigration lawyers are dedicated to ensuring the process can be as smooth and stress-free as possible.
We can offer advice over the phone and online and provide the same high-quality services remotely as if you were in our offices.
Get in touch with us to learn more about our bespoke visa services by speaking to us today on 0161 532 7794.
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.