Manchester Immigration Lawyers
0161 826 9783 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm

Find an office

10 offices in the UK


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

When can I apply for a Skilled Worker dependent visa extension?

You can bring your partner and children with you to the UK on a Skilled Worker visa. It’s important when it’s time to extend, that you and your family members know what to do.

If you need professional guidance with your Skilled Worker visa application or extension, ring our customer care team today on 0161 532 7794. Our team in Manchester can advise you remotely.



    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Who is eligible for a Skilled Worker visa extension?

    When you make your original application for a skilled worker visa, you will receive up to two and a half years of leave to remain in the UK. You must have scored 70 points under the points-based system and had a job with a licensed employer that sponsored you to take up their job role.

    For you to apply for a Skilled– Worker visa extension application, all of those same conditions must be met once again. If you are in the same job role with the same employer the following applies:

    • Your employer must apply for a new certificate of sponsorship. You can then apply for a new visa within three months, and 60 days before your leave expires
    • Earning the minimum salary threshold of £38,700 or less if you previously met the requirements for an exception
    • You will have proven your English language level on your original application so you shouldn’t have to prove it again
    • You’ll also need to update your biometric residence permit and prove your identity on the UK Immigration: ID Check app

    Applications for extensions for your dependents will need to be done at the same time.

    Skilled worker visa extension application

    Who can apply for a dependent visa extension?

    If your partner and children are already inside the UK, they will need to apply for a visa extension separately. They should apply at the same time, as soon as the main Skilled Worker visa applicant has been granted indefinite leave to remain. If they cannot apply at the same time, they can apply for an extension at a later date but it must be before their current visa expires.

    All applications can be carried out online, with different forms depending on who is making the application. Dependent partners applying with children should use the dependent partner form on the government website. Dependent children can also apply on their own using this form.

    People who can apply as dependents are:

    • Husband, wife, civil or unmarried partner
    • Children who are under 18, as well as those born in the UK while you have lived here
    • Children over 18 if they are with you as a dependent adult and not living an independent life

    You must be able to prove:

    • Your relationship with your partner
    •  That any children over 16 live with you, are not married and are financially supported by you

    What are the eligibility requirements?

    Dependents partners and children can apply from inside the UK for an extension to a Skilled Worker dependent visa. They can also apply to switch from another visa. This will not be possible however on certain types of other skilled worker visa holders, for example:

    • on a visit visa
    • on a short-term student visa
    • on a Parent of a Child Student visa
    • on a seasonal worker visa
    • on a domestic worker in a private household visa
    • if they were given leave to remain in the UK on compassionate grounds

    Financial requirements

    Coming to the UK on a Skilled Worker visa means you and your family will have no access to government support while you are working in the UK. While you must also meet the minimum income requirement, there are some financial requirements for your dependents too.

    Your partner and each child will need to show they have the following amounts of money in a bank account for at least 28 consecutive days before their application as visa holders and within one month of applying for the visa extension:

    • £285 for your partner
    • £315 for one child
    • £200 for each additional child

    This is additional to proving you have £1270 to support yourself for your Skilled Worker visa extension application.

    They’ll also need your personal details, your application number and your certificate of sponsorship number.

    Do you need help applying for a Spouse Visa? Our lawyers can assist you. Get in touch

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      What happens if I change employer when I apply for an extension?

      If you are doing a different job for the same employer, you wont need to apply to update same occupation code on your visa unless the occupation code has changed.

      You will however need to apply to update your visa if:

      • You are taking on a second job that is more than 20 hours a week
      • Or the second job is a different occupation code
      • You are taking a new job with a different employer
      • You change occupation codes with your new role
      • The new role is not on the shortage occupation list

      In all these instances, you will need to apply again and be issued with a new certificate of sponsorship from your employer. Whatever job role you are changing to, it must also meet all the eligibility requirements as before.

      You must apply three months before the expiry of your current, skilled worker visa renewal. For your dependents, it is extremely important that you have received the decision of your application and your new certificate of sponsorship before they make any applications. They will need to use your updated information to make a dependent Skiled Worker visa application extension as before and using invalid information would usually mean their applications will be refused.

      How much will it cost?

      Before you make your application to extend with a skilled worker visa extension for your family, it’s important to budget adequately for all the associated costs, which can vary depending on the type of job the Skilled Worker visa holder will be doing and how long you are staying for.

      Applying to extend your Skilled Worker visa from inside the UK costs:

      • £704 per person for up to three years of leave
      • £1408 per person for more than three years

      This is slightly more expensive than making an application from outside of the UK.

      If your job is on the shortage occupation list however, you and your family members will pay lower fees. In this instance, the application cost:

      • £464 if you’re staying for up to 3 years
      • £928 if you’re staying for more than 3 years

      Each person must also pay the healthcare surcharge when they apply, usually £624. As mentioned before, you will also need to prove you have additional money in your account to support yourself and your dependents financially.

      How can Manchester Immigration Lawyers help?

      When you’re looking to extend your Skilled Worker visa for your dependents, we know staying in the UK with your family is at the heart of your decision. That’s why our immigration lawyers are dedicated to ensuring the process can be as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      We can offer advice over the phone and online and provide the same high-quality services remotely as if you were in our offices.

      Get in touch with us to learn more about our bespoke visa services by speaking to us today on 0161 532 6908.

      You may be interested in reading about.

      We can help you if you need help with your Skilled Worker visa application Call us now

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package