We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Youth Mobility Scheme

If you’re a young foreign national and want to work in the UK, or study, our team of expert immigration lawyers in Manchester can help and provide information on the application process, requirements and costs for the Youth Mobility visa. Youth nationals from a list of countries, including New Zealand, Hong Kong and Republic of Korea, can apply for the youth mobility visa.

Call us on 0161 826 9783 to talk to our team of experienced immigration advisors about applying for the scheme. Our team is here to help over the phone, in person, or online.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    What is the Youth Mobility Scheme?

    The Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS) is designed for young people between the ages of 18 and 30 from participating countries who would like to study or work in the UK.

    The Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme comes under the Temporary Work visa category and can be used by young foreign nationals to live, study and/or work in the UK, for up to two years.

    However, you will not be allowed to access public funds. Nor will you be able to work as a professional sportsperson, doctor or dentist in training – unless you can provide evidence showing you qualified for this position in the UK.

    To apply for the Youth Mobility visa, you must be a national of one of several eligible countries listed below.

    To come to the UK on a Youth Mobility visa, you must be sponsored by an educational facility, not an employer or business.

    There are also other requirements that must be met to successfully obtain a Youth Mobility visa, such as financial eligibility requirements, which are detailed further down.

    If you would like to find out more about the Youth Mobility Scheme our team of Manchester immigration lawyers can assist you. Complete the quick enquiry form, or call us on 0161 826 9783 to see how our team could help you.

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews
    Reviews.io Logo

    General requirements for youth mobility visa

    The Youth Mobility Visa scheme is visa for young people who wish to live, work, study and travel in the UK for up to two years. For your application to the Youth Mobility Visa Scheme to be granted, applicants must fulfil the following general requirements to show eligibility:

    • They must be a “youth”, between 18 and 30 years of age
    • They must have enough money to support themselves to live and work in the UK (without including any salary they earn)
    • They have been sponsored by an educational institution in the UK
    • They must demonstrate this by showing they have £1809 in their bank account (that they held at least 90 days before they made their application). This shows they are financially responsible. This must be in cash funds and evidenced through a bank statement, a savings account passbook or letter from the bank to confirm the amount of funds.
    • They do not have anyone who is financially dependent on them (such as a child or partner)
    • They have not had a Youth Mobility Visa or a Working Holiday Visa in the past

    What countries can nationals apply to the youth mobility scheme from?

    You have eligibility to apply for the youth mobility visa scheme if you are a national of one of the following countries:

    • Australia
    • Canada
    • Japan
    • Monaco
    • Taiwan
    • New Zealand
    • Hong Kong
    • The Republic of Korea

    British overseas nationals and citizens of overseas British territories are also eligible for the visa.

    If you need any guidance or support in your Spouse Visa extension application, call us today. Get in touch

      Fill out the form

      Youth Mobility visa document requirements

      To put forward a Youth Mobility visa application to the Home Office, along with your forms, you will need to submit the following documents:

      • A current passport, or valid ID
      • Bank statements to prove your cash funds and/or savings
      • Tuberculosis test results (if relevant)

      What does the Youth Mobility visa allow applicants to do?

      The Youth Mobility visa scheme grants the applicant up to two years to do the following in the United Kingdom:

      • Study for an education in a British institution, as long as you receive a sponsorship certificate
      • Work in a job on the Tier 2 occupation shortage list
      • Work a second job for up to 20 hours a week
      • Become self-employed and set up your own company

      What visa restrictions are there?

      There are several Youth Mobility visa restrictions. As already mentioned, to apply you should be between 18 and 30 years old. You must also be a national of one of the previously listed countries.

      As well as these restrictions, you are also prohibited from the following:

      • Apply to bring any financially dependent children or partner with you on your visa application
      • Extend your visa and stay longer than 24 months
      • Using the two year period as part of the qualifying period for settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain)
      • Taking on work as a dentist or doctor in training
      • Taking on permanent work
      • Training as a professional sportsperson

      The government also caps the number of Youth Mobility visas that are granted every year on a country-by-country basis.

      Can applicants work in the UK after the visa expires?

      The Youth Mobility visa allows you to live and work in the UK for up to two years, and you cannot extend this type of visa.

      If you wish to live and work in the UK for a longer period, you must apply for a fresh visa. You can apply for one of the following options if you wish to continue working as an employee or for your own business, once your visa expires:

      You can apply for other UK visas, but these are the most common.

      You cannot study in the UK after the initial time period of your Youth Mobility visa.

      How long will the Youth Mobility visa process take?

      It usually takes approximately three weeks to hear back after you make an application for a Youth Mobility visa scheme. You can apply up to 6 months before the day you wish to enter the UK.

      However, it could take longer depending on where you apply from. For example, applications from Hong Kong can sometimes take longer to process and more evidence is needed at the submission stage.

      You may be able to have your application processed faster by opting for a premium visa service.

      What are the Youth Mobility visa scheme fees?

      The Youth Mobility visa fees are as follows:

      • £244 Home Office fee to apply to the scheme
      • £400 per year for the Immigration Health Surcharge (total of £800 for the two years’ stay)
      • £19.20 for bio-metric information to be processed

      There may be extra costs involved with your visa application, such as lawyer fees if you instruct the help of an immigration caseworker, and extra fees for services like document sourcing or translation.

      Can an application for the youth mobility visa be done from outside the UK?

      You can apply online for your Youth Mobility visa from outside the United Kingdom. Your bio-metrics (a photograph and fingerprint) will still need to be taken at a visa application centre.

      Once you arrive in the UK, and you have your Youth Mobility visa application approved, you will have 10 days to pick up your bio-metric residence permit.

      What is a Certificate of Sponsorship for the Youth Mobility Visa?

      All Youth Mobility visa applicants must have a sponsor from an institution or organisation before you can submit your visa application. One of the following bodies can provide the certificate:

      • An organisation running an approved exchange scheme e.g. British Council
      • A higher education institution e.g. university
      • A government department or agency

      Your sponsor must approve and give you your Certificate of Sponsorship. Please note it can take up to four weeks for certain sponsors to process your information and provide your certificate, so ensure you allow enough time when applying.

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Fill out the form

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Fill out the form

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Fill out the form

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Fill out the form

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.

                Frequently Asked Questions

                Despite the age range being 18-30, as long as you are still within the allotted time period of up to 24 months for this visa, you can still stay in the UK until it expires. Even if you apply when you are 30, you still get the full two years time period under the Youth Mobility visa.

                You cannot apply for this type of visa more than once. Even if you come for just one month but go home for the remaining two years, you wont be able to enter the UK again on the Youth Mobility visa or apply again.

                If you had the Youth Mobility visa but never entered the country you can apply for another one, but you will have to pay again.

                However, if you wish to stay in your current role in the UK after your visa expires, your employer may be able to sponsor you to take on a Work visa – such as the Tier 2 Skilled Worker visa.

                This will allow you to stay in the UK more permanently and can also allow you to settle in the UK and become a British citizen, if this is a path you wish to proceed with.

                Yes, you can marry under the Youth Mobility visa. If you wish to stay in the UK with a British spouse or civil partner you should consider marrying them well in time for the expiry of your visa.

                This will give you time to apply for a UK Spouse visa. This is a permanent form of Family visa that can also lead to settled status and British citizenship if this is a route you are interested in pursuing.

                Under a Youth Mobility visa, you can work in all countries that make up the United Kingdom: Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. You can also work in Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man, subject to their immigration requirements.

                Unfortunately not! You will only know if your Youth Mobility visa application has been successful when you receive your passport back.

                When you do, you will have an “entry vignette” (sticker) giving you your 30-day entrance window into the country.

                Get in touch with our immigration lawyers in Manchester who will be happy to help you ensure you get a successful and smooth application process.